This recipe is easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd or for freezing. It is the perfect thing to eat for lunch on a day when you have to "save" points for a special meal! Or eat this for dinner on a day when you have used too many points.
1 tsp canola oil
5 oz ground beef or turkey - 93% lean or more
1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 bell pepper (your favorite color), chopped
28 oz diced tomatoes
15 oz can of kidney, black or chili beans
15 oz can of Fat Free beef broth
1 package Chili Seasoning (McCormick or Aldi brand)
2 zucchini or summer squash, small dice
2 Tablespoons cornmeal
S & P to taste
- Heat a 3 or 4 quart sauce pan. Add oil to hot pan. Add meat and cook until no longer red.
- Add onions, celery and pepper. Cook to soften.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except the squash. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes then add the squash and corn meal. Cook 20 - 30 minutes more.
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
NOTE: When I make this recipe, I add 1 dice jalapeno pepper, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. These additions really add big flavor. If you have special ingredients that don't add points (like cocoa powder) go ahead and add them!