I have never been a big eggplant fan except when my mother made eggplant parmigiana. Of course, her version began by frying the eggplant which absorbs oil like a sponge. I usually avoid it just for that reason.
In this version the eggplant is baked not fried. The results were so good, we ended up eating double portions at our house. This is one of those things I make over and over again!
1 eggplant (1 1/2 - 2 lbs), peel and cut into 1/2" thick slices and lightly salted
1/4 cup egg beaters (or egg white) w/ 1 T water, lightly beaten
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (or 1 cup fresh crumbs)
2 cups reduced fat pasta sauce (or your own version of sauce)
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, grated
3 Tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Dip eggplant into egg mixture and then toss in bread crumbs. Don't worry if they are not completely coated with crumbs.
- Lay on baking sheets and cook for 25 minutes. Turn over and bake about 10 minutes more.
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of a 8 x 8 baking dish. Arrange 1/2 the eggplant on the sauce. Top with 1/2 cup of sauce - you may have to spread it out. And sprinkle the top with 1/2 of each of the cheeses.
- Repeat with the next layer (using all the sauce). Cover the dish tightly with foil.
- Bake 30 - 40 minutes.
4 servings (that's a 4 x 4 square each)
4 points plus per serving