This doesn't mean I have to give up this favorite. I just create a skinless fried chicken in the oven. And just like mom's fried chicken this one is good hot with a milk gravy and mashed potatoes or cold on a picnic.
If you are a little sceptical, don't be. One of my clients tells me her family thinks they will never have to eat "real" fried chicken again because this is so good and satisfying (that is a 3 kid endorsement).
OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 chicken breast(about 1 pound), skinned
2 chicken drumsticks
2 chicken thighs skinned
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag or other container with a lid. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine flour, salt, peppers, garlic powder and cumin in a second large zip-top plastic bag or a bowl with a lid that seals. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken.
- Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour; lightly spray each chicken piece with cooking spray.
- Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.
- Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, foil or a silicon sheet. Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until done.
Serve with milk gravy - an easy way to make this is to buy a packet of chicken gravy mix and make it with 1 1/2 cups of milk (instead of 1 c of water) adding one chicken boullion cube and a tsp of cider vinegar at the end to finish.
If you make this and want count points, I just add one extra point to each piece of chicken I eat (if a thigh is 3 points I count one more and make it 4).