Skip to main content

Brownies with Black Beans


I kept hearing people talk about brownies with black beans. Unfortunately, no ome could give me a recipe or had actually tasted them! So I started looking around for ideas or recipes. I came across a funny conversation on a Weight Watcher discussion page and came up with a simple idea to try.

I liked the results a lot. I got a really moist brownie that was really chocolaty. I decided to take them to a party (they were a huge hit) but I dressed them up a little bit. Here's what I did:

CHOCOLATE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

1 box brownie mix
1 15 oz can black beans (NOT drained)
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee

Blend the beans (and the liquid), instant coffee, and cocoa in a blender until smooth.
Empty the contents of your mix into a bowl.
Add the bean mixture and mix by hand until smooth.
Bake as directed on the package.

Mine, cut into 24 pieces, were 1 point each. This will vary depending on the mix you use and the beans. You'll have to do the math.



To dress them up for a party I did this (this is going to add about 1 to 1/2 point per brwonie):

Mint Brownie Topping

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
1 tablespoon crème de menthe or 1/4 teaspoon mint extract

Glaze:
1 ounce semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine

To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, and liqueur. Beat with a mixer (or with a whisk) at medium speed until smooth. Spread the icing evenly over brownie layer; refrigerate 30 minutes or until icing is set.

To prepare glaze, place chocolate in a small microwave-safe dish. Microwave at high for 45 seconds; stir in 1 tablespoon butter. Microwave at high for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over icing; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until the glaze is set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mindful Eating

Here is an exercise in mindful eating I found on NPR. It is a good exercise for you to try and it could help you slow down your eating which will translate to satisfaction sooner which means less calories consumed! If you're curious to know what mindful eating looks like in practice, here's one exercise, excerpted from a review written by Stephanie Vangsness of Brigham and Women's Hospital. She writes: "Do this exercise with a friend. You will need one small slice of an apple for each person. One person reads the instructions listed below while the other person completes the exercise. 1.Take one bite of an apple slice and then close your eyes. Do not begin chewing yet. 2.Try not to pay attention to the ideas running through your mind, just focus on the apple. Notice anything that comes to mind about taste, texture, temperature and sensation going on in your mouth. 3.Begin chewing now. Chew slowly, just noticing what it feels like. It's normal that your mind will w...

Buy the cheap stinky onions!

Oddly enough the hot stinky cheap onions have more cancer fighting vitamins than those really sweet ones! Here is a good way to cook them to make them sweet and delicious! In fact, when cooked they are always sweeter. The sweet varieties are best eaten raw because when cooked they are less sweet. Peel and core (with your apple corer) a large onion - don't poke the corer all the way through. Place the onion on a sheet of foil. Put a bullion cube in the core, top with a 1/2 teaspoon of a butter substitute, sprinkle with thyme and pepper. Pour a teaspoon of dry sherry over all and grill for 45 minutes or until completely soft. Open and enjoy - it will taste like sweet French Onion Soup! Make one for each person because you won't want to share!

Boiled Beans

STOP! Don't scroll on - Keep reading this recipe. I know it just sounds like it has to be no good, but this is actually and easy way to make a batch of beans that are really good - and of course, good for you. My friend and WW member Brother Joe (http://josephbasil.blogspot.com/ swears by this dish so I had to try it out. I reduced the point by cutting the fat by more than 65% but retained the original flavor. Make yourself a batch and eat them for lunch this week! Best of all, this is one cheap dish to make! 1 pound dried kidney, navy or other bean 1/3 cup chopped onion (one small) 1 Tablespoon butter 1 Tablespoon olive oil 3 whole cloves 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional) 6 oz dry red wine Parsley to garnish Place beans in a heavy saucepan (3 - 4 qt) and cover with water. Add the butter, oil, onion, cloves, salt, pepper, thyme, and crushed red pepper to beans. Simmer the beans, covered, for 1 ...